Monday 18 November 2013

Interview with a RT treated Ledderhose patient from Oklahoma

An interview with a patient from the USA, they have been treated with radiotherapy.

1) Do you have Ledderhose Disease, Dupuytren’s disease or both? 

I am 56 years old, and as of now only have Ledderhose.  It began in my left foot, about when I turned 52 or 53. 

2) Do you have a family history of the disease? If yes how prevalent is it?

Yes.  My father had severe Dupuytren’s in both hands.  My older brother has Dupuytren’s in both hands.
  
3) How long have you been symptomatic?

 It began about 3 or so years ago.  I grew a small nodule on the bottom of my left foot, at first I thought it was Plantar Fasciatis, then discovered it was Ledderhose.  It then spread to 3 different nodules, all on the left foot.

4) What treatments have you received?  

I have had 2 different radiation treatments, the first about 18 months ago, the most recent about 2 months ago.

5) How successful were these treatments?  

The first radiation treatment was exceptional, as it virtually eliminated the first nodule, and made the second nodule smaller and softer.   The most recent treatment was done because my 3rd nodule grew to be the largest, and because I had begun to grow a nodule on the bottom of my right foot, so I wanted to get it radiated before it grew much.  The second radiation treatment has been very successful, further reducing the size and firmness of the 2nd nodule, and reducing the size of the 3rd nodule.  In addition, the small nodule that had begun to grow on my right foot is all but gone, so at this point I am very pleased.

6) You said you had radiation treatment, what was this experience like? 

The experience was very easy(both times).  The 2nd treatment they increased the amount of radiation.  After the first treatment my left foot was slightly tender(on the bottom), but very slight.  The 2nd treatment caused the bottom of my feet to become dry and tender, starting right after the last treatment.  My treatment consisted of going every day for 10 days.  It only takes about 1 minute of treatment and it is easy.

7) Are you currently satisfied with the treatment that you have received? 

I’m very satisfied with my treatments and I am convinced it helped reduce the size and hardness of the nodules.  I highly recommend Dr. Terrence Newman at the University of Oklahoma Cancer Center (located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)

No comments:

Post a Comment