Friday 24 February 2012

Plantar and palmar fibromatosis: Characteristic imaging features and role of MRI in clinical management.


So in this post I am looking at a relevant journal articles that I have been informed about over the last week whilst I was on honeymoon. I am slightly annoyed as it was really hard for me to gain access to this article and there are two more that I want to look at and either I cannot get them yet I am a likely to never be able to. Still I will do what I can from the abstract and see what happens from there.

Title: Plantar and palmar fibromatosis: Characteristic imaging features and role of MRI in clinical management.

Authors : Collette English, Robert Coughlan, John Carey and Diane Bergin.
Radiology Department and Rheumatology Department, Galway University Hospitals, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland. Correspondence to: Collette English E-mail: colletteenglish@gmail.com.

This article is a letter to the Journal Rheumatology and I shall try to just give an overview in as simple terms as possible what new things I have learnt from this. One thing I am going to note straight away is that they state that plantar fibromatosis (PF) is rare. They are looking at a single patient with bilaterial PF with a family history of Dupuytren’s disease (DD) and she was starting to show symptoms of DD. The DD was treated surgically but the PF was left alone as it was asymptomatic. They go on to say that they think that MRI is the best way to measure the extent of the lumps and that it should be used as a diagnostic aid. 

I guess that is it really, there is not a lot of useful information that I can get from that other than what I already knew.  

I will look at the others when I get the chance, for those interested I am intending to look at:


and 


No comments:

Post a Comment